Full-Time BGI Tech, Senior Research Scientist
BGI is seeking a senior Scientist with a PhD and research background from well-known universities/laboratories with hands-on experience in designated areas (including tumor, metabolomics, neurobiology, enzymology, etc.). The qualified scientist should have comprehensive understanding of the designated areas above and insight into the latest research direction. The scientist will also assist and lead article writing and internal and external project collaborations. This role is based in Shenzhen, China, with the opportunity to travel. BGI provides career opportunities for advancement and rotations to other jobs within the business unit and to other BGI subsidiaries and locations. BGI will work with candidates on work authorization (or work permits) for Shenzhen, China, if the candidate does not already have work authorization for Shenzhen.
- Engage in developing core technology, and in advancing science in designated areas.
- Ability to identify key issues and to mobilize different resources to solve critical technical problems.
- For assigned projects, have the ability to understand the requirements, take command in the implementation and in progression monitoring; and achieve the project objectives with high efficiency and quality.
- Coordinate and manage laboratory routines and draft technical project documents.
- Ability to participate and monitor laboratory research.
Desired Skills and Experience
- PhD in Genetics/Genomics/Microbiology/Medicine with more than 3-years of research experience in related areas. Preferred to have a candidate with Postdoctoral experience outside of China.
- Familiar with bioinformatics, or the experimental design of molecular biology and cell biology.
- Demonstrate reasoning skills and timely responses to scientific and business inquiries. Possess comprehensive understanding of the field (tumor, metabolomics, neurobiology, enzymology, etc.). Have strong learning and problem solving skills. Be able to design and implement experimental programs independently.
- Have more than 3-year experiences in high-throughput sequencing. Skilled in high-throughput sequencing research methods.
- Have research articles published in scientific journals.
- Fluent in English and able to search and read research articles in English. Responsible to perform data- mining tasks from big data, and to identify biological significances of the discoveries.
About the company
BGI was founded in Beijing on Sept 9th, 1999 with the mission of supporting the development of science and technology, building strong research teams, and promoting the development of scientific partnership in genomics field.
With a goal toward excellence, high efficiency, and accuracy, BGI has successfully completed a large number of projects. These include sequencing 1% of the human genome for the International Human Genome Project, contributing 10% to the International Human HapMap Project, the first Asian diploid genome, 1000 genomes project, human Gut Metagenome, , being a key player in the Sino-British Chicken Genome Project, and completely sequencing the rice genome, the silkworm genome, the potato genome, carrying out research to combat SARS and, most recently decoding the genome of Germany deadly E.coli,.
In 2007, BGI’s headquarters was relocated to Shenzhen as the first citizen-managed, non-profit research institution in China. With the integrative structure of research innovation, platform development and industrial application, BGI aims to develop research collaboration and provide scientific support to scientists all over the world, contribute to the advancement of innovative biology research, molecular breeding, healthcare and related fields. BGI is dedicated to facilitate the applications in Healthcare, Agriculture, and Environment, to serve the people for a better life.
Address and contact
Build 11, Beishan Industrial Zone, Yantian District, Shenzhen, 518083, China