Full-Time Christie Digital Systems, Senior Engineering Manager
This is a senior leadership role, fully qualified engineering level position, with knowledge of one or more areas of specialization, managing projects and a multi-disciplinary team of other engineers and non-technical staff. Directs several cross-functional groups engaged in new product introduction and existing product enhancement activities.
This position requires the application of program and business management techniques to manage both projects and the department. Application of advanced level engineering concepts and knowledge to evaluate solutions for risk, schedule, quality, performance etc.
Assist in developing strategy that supports global business objectives. This includes evaluating and mitigating business risks.
Provide senior leadership to a team of engineering professionals assigned to product development. Work collaboratively with other local and global teams and departments to achieve goals.
Contribute to planning and visioning for future developments. Participate in short and long term planning and evaluation. Contribute to decisions on work methods and procedures within an overall program.
Risk management to ensure all products / solutions within assignment are developed and subsequently manufactured to meet safety and regulatory standards, and Christies’ expectations for quality and customer satisfaction.
Originality and ingenuity are required for driving practical and economical solutions to difficult problems or assignments.
Requires project management, communication, team leadership and work coordination skills to integrate work efforts of an interdisciplinary team.
Accountable for expenditure of money in the implementation of projects.
Coordinate development efforts at all levels with other departments in the organization, including head office.
- Collaborate with local management, counterparts in Canada, and other stakeholders to define needs of the department and/or project teams.
- Interface with local and global operations and engineering as well as other key areas to ensure product/project execution is collaboratively supported and implemented with consistency.
- Planning, managing and conducting engineering projects i.e. outline project requirements, design constraints, objectives, methods, costs and risks.
- Management of internal team of engineering, non-engineering and program management professionals. This can include recruitment, retention, training, performance management and professional development.
- Provide leadership to a cross-functional team and guide work progress through to scheduled completion, on time and on budget.
- Help department staff to make decisions and take actions necessary to ensure successful accomplishment of assigned projects for local team.
- Select, train, motivate, evaluate, and provide performance management to staff.
- Determine best allocation of department staff to projects and efforts being done by local team.
- Review and evaluate technical work; select, schedule and coordinate to achieve project objectives.
- Ensure policies and procedures for engineering and project work are adhered to.
- Help identify local partnerships and outsourcing options for engineering related work.
- Travel at least quarterly to Canada for discussions, planning, and collaboration
- Reports directly to International Program Manager and VP of Global Engineering in Canada with dotted line responsibility to General Manager at Christie Shenzhen.
- Supervises a multi-disciplinary team including engineers, non-engineering professionals, and project management professionals.
Budgetary: Primary – Departmental expense and capital budget as assigned.
Level of Supervision:
- Minimal daily supervision – work and effort is reviewed for soundness of approach and general effectiveness as part of performance reviews
- Regular updates and reporting via conference calls & emails to manager.
- Feedback and suggestions for improvement will be provided by local GM and direct supervisor as needed
Sources of Instruction:
- Immediate manager in Canada and GM in Shenzhen.
- As needed from other program management colleagues and senior leaders.
- Annual performance objectives agreed to with immediate manager.
- Christie policies and procedures.
- Industry standards and best practices.
- Local Shenzhen management team, program managers, and other company departments.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Applied Science.
- MBA and/or Masters preferred.
- Education acquired internationally (Western/European) beneficial.
Desired Professional Designations:
- Licensed professional engineering designation for ethical practice (eg. P.Eng, P.E.)
- Related: 7 – 10 years previous and relevant engineering experience plus 5 years program management or senior management related experience to be qualified for the role.
International travel and international business experience.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Management skills applied in engineering services or product development
- Business fundamentals
- Management training
- Project Management
- Mentoring and coaching
- Formal Presentation Skills Training
- Relationship Management Skills
- Comprehensive English (oral and written)
About the company
In business for 85 years, Christie® is the leading global provider of innovative visual, audio and presentation products. Our solutions capture people’s imaginations with stunning images, dynamic audio and powerful presentation tools, helping our clients create and share the most memorable experiences.
Christie supplies a wide range of completely integrated projection, display, presentation and audio solutions to industries such as cinema, corporate, education and training, live events and retail. From 3D projection systems and large-format interactive video walls to revolutionary audio systems and powerful presentation and collaboration tools, Christie leads the digital paradigm shift by providing complete solutions built on proven technologies.
Address and contact
4F, Building AD, Gaoxinqi Industrial Park, Liuxian, 1st Road District 67, Baoan, Shenzhen 518101, China