Full-Time Tesla, Vehicle Manufacturing Technology Engineer
You will work with the design team to challenge assumptions and develop a manufacturing process to enable world-class design. This will include developing surface finishes, introducing new materials, and focusing on minimizing tolerances to achieve the best fit and finish in the industry. This role will require a very high level of collaboration with designers, engineering, manufacturing, and commercial teams. You will support the implementation of the most optimized process into manufacturing in-house or at a supplier location.
- Take a great product and refine it: fit, finish, tolerance
- Enable the impossible design by challenging all assumptions and developing the most innovative manufacturing process with the best capability
- Lead the resolution of key product level problems by working back through the stack up of parts and assemblies to drive the absolute best fit and finish
- Perform other related duties as assigned, based on the business need
Desired Skills and Experience
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrated development of innovative manufacturing processes that enable world-class design
- Experience with diverse fabrication and finishing processes for highly cosmetic parts
- Ability to plan, execute, and present results from investigations using data and statistical analysis along with sound technical judgment to drive decisions
- Solid understanding of a diverse selection of materials and material properties as they relate to manufacturing processes
- Advanced knowledge of mechanical surface finishing, precision welding, grinding, CNC machining, casting, stamping, and automation.
- Knowledge of, GD&T, fixture design, inspection, quality control and GR&R.
- Minimum of 5 years mechanical engineering experience.
- Experience in vendor management and prototype to mass production control.
- Stationing full time in Mainland China, ability to travel within Asia Pacific in short notice.
- Proficiency in both English and Chinese language.
About the company
Tesla’s goal is to accelerate the world’s transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. Palo Alto, California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV power train components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered more than 2,300 Roadsters to customers worldwide. Model S, the first premium sedan to be engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle, began deliveries to customers in June 2012. Tesla plans to build 5,000 Model S vehicles in 2012, and 20,000 in 2013.
No. 1 Minkang Rd, Longhua District,
Shenzhen, Guangdong 518131 China